Classical Music in Los Angeles



LA is now anticipating the opening of the Disney Concert Hall which will be the new home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Tickets to concerts are selling briskly. I recently went to the box office to get tickets to an April 2004 concert when Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #2 will be performed. Of the three concerts with that piece, two are already sold out and the third is nearly sold out.

Disney Hall and the LA Phil is the hot ticket in town for classical fans and probably even non-fans as it will be the place to see and be seen.

As a somewhat free market libertarian, I can't complain that the prices have shot up. The cheap seats in the old Dorothy Chandler was $14. In the new venue they go for $35!

I'll still make a few treks to see the LA Phil because of my love of classical music. However, I'll have to begin looking into other venues and performing groups for classical in LA.

A search of the internet yields the following options.

Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra
Pasadena Symphony
Glendale Symphony
Santa Monica Symphony
UCLA School of Music
USC Thornton School of Music

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...