Devotional Thoughts: If Jesus is the answer, what is the question?

Am looking at Matthew 20:17-19.

Jesus once again predicts his death and resurrection.

Some people will claim that all of this is invented.

Certainly, that is the idea behind The Da Vinci Code.

So the options are invention or it really happened?

The empty tomb is evidence in favor of its reality. Christianity collapses if Jesus is found dead and buried somewhere. Christianity has staked its survival on this ridiculous claim.

If you wanted to invent a religion would you stake everything on something like that?

Another thing to consider is that conspiracies tend to work "top down." One has to have tremendous amounts of power to foist a conspiracy on people. Hence, ideas of powerful alliances of business and government in notions of Illuminati.

UPDATE: For the record, I think the idea of the Illuminati is entertaining in an X-file-ish sort of way but I don't believe in that conspiracy.

Christianity started in the obscure backwater occupied territory of Palestine in the Roman Empire. The first few generation of believers were hardly in a position to foist a conspiracy.

But back to the main question. Jesus died and rose from the dead and it was necessary.

As Christians say, Jesus is the answer.

But what is the question?

What are you and I going to do when we die and face God with our sins?

If you aren't asking that question, then Jesus is irrelevant, a conspiracy or quaint foolishness.

If we are asking that, then Jesus is the answer.

UPDATE: I'm not sure if the reader (see comments section) was disappointed because he/she is a Christian and feels I didn't make a strong enough case for Jesus. Maybe so. I wish I had the clarity of thought and snappy writing of a C.S. Lewis. Nonetheless, I'll make the case for Christ in my own fumbling way and helpful advice would always be welcome.

Of course, perhaps the commentor doesn't believe in Jesus. In which case they think Christianity is a fabrication. They are entitled to that opinion. I simply do not share that view.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this being quoted to show what bad arguments look like, or are we supposed to take this at face value?

Rene said...

Thanks for dropping by.

Clarity or agreement?

If we can get agreement that's great. If we can't get that then let's strive for clarity.

At face value: the claims of Jesus are either true or they are a fabrication.

I think the claims of Jesus are true. I could be wrong but I think they are true. I've given some of the reasons why I think the conspiracy explaination is lacking.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...