Sports: UCLA Bruin Basketball, Return to Glory?



The Bruins took the regular season Pacific-10 title. On Saturday, they added the title of Pacific-10 tournament champions.

When the year started, I figured they were likely to come in third behind Arizona and Washington. Instead, Arizona has had a rough year (finished 4th) and Washington had one bad patch in their conference play that allowed UCLA to take the title despite being beaten by Washington twice this season.

On Saturday afternoon, I attended my fifth basketball game in 48 hours.

I blogged about the Big West tournament including my two days of watching games on Thursday and Friday evenings. The posts can be found in the links below:

Day 4
Day 3
Day 2
Day 1
Preview, part II
Preview, part I



In the Pacific-10 post-season tournament, I rooted for UCLA (Biochemistry, 1986) and followed their fate. They had easily defeated Oregon State and Arizona setting up the final game with the California Golden Bears.



The seats were a little more expensive than seats at the Big West Tournament and the distance from the floor was considerable!



The crowd was not surprisingly quite partisan for UCLA. Listen to the fans cheer along with the band. Apparently, the University of California has a song for their bands to play. In this clip UC Irvine's band plays the same tune. The California Berkeley band apparently does not play this tune as their fight song. The UC Santa Barbara band did not either. I suppose it is up to the band director and the school athletic departments to decide if they want to use the song.



AP recap.

How far can this team go?

The NCAA has put the Bruins as a #2 seed in the Western Region. If the selection committee gets what they are hoping for, UCLA would face Memphis in a rematch for entry into the Final Four.

ONE GAME AT A TIME! They don't call it March Madness for nothing.

UCLA faces Belmont on Thursday!

U - C - LLLLLLLLL - A - UCLA - FIGHT - FIGHT - FIGHT!!!!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...