Business: FreeCreditReport.Com is not free

We have all seen the ads on TV or heard them on the radio for FreeCreditReport.Com.

Well, I tried it and indeed got my credit report. What I didn't realize but now looking back, there was "fine print" everywhere that it wasn't really free.

Right there on their home page is this:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period**, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership.
I noticed the other day a $14.95 charge by "#CIC*TRIPLE ADVANTAGE" on my credit card and wondered what was that?

A quick search on the internet revealed that many people did what I did.

The articles described how people had a very hard time getting the service cancelled.

In my case, I've seen one billing but for others who don't check their statements carefully, they wind up paying for this service for several months without realizing it.

What is the definition of fraud?
Definition of Fraud

All multifarious means which human ingenuity can devise, and which are resorted to by one individual to get an advantage over another by false suggestions or suppression of the truth. It includes all surprises, tricks, cunning or dissembling, and any unfair way which another is cheated.

Source: Black’s Law Dictionary, 5th ed., by Henry Campbell Black, West Publishing Co., St. Paul, Minnesota, 1979.
Experian is the company behind FreeCreditReport.Com and what they are doing is on the edge of fraud. They will always say that disclaimers are on the web site so they aren't being dishonest. But that truth is hidden amidst a cute radio and TV ad campaign scaring people about surprises in your credit score all the while calling their service FREE credit report.com ... does this skate right up to the edge of the line of "false suggestions or suppression of the truth?"

What do you think?

Today, I hope to NOT have to spend too much time on the phone calling Experian to cancel the service. I'll also be calling the credit card company to say I have cancelled the service and no more of these charges should appear on my card.

I feel like such a dope!

Liveblogging:
8:20 made call to the FreeCreditReport.com and on hold
8:23 got live person, Z, who looked up my file
8:24 Z reads script to keep me as a customer
8:25 Z offers a limited membership for $4.95/month
8:26 puts me on hold to cancel my membership
8:28 back on the line and am told I will receive an email that confirms cancelation of my membership.

8:29 calling Bank America Visa credit card company and going through the various voice menus
8:31 got live human and explained the situation and was given a number to call if the charge reappears. While logging my complaint in the computer, rep offers a credit card balance tranfer which I decline
8:34 my concerns about Triple Advantage Credit Monitoring are logged in and the call ends.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...