Devotional Thoughts: Its about honoring the King

Am looking at Matthew 22:1-14 this morning.

Jesus tells many stories in the Gospels to illustrate the Kingdom of God.

Since we live in a representative democracy the notions of a King and a kingdom seem a bit foreign to us.

In the USA, about 1/3 of the people might like the President at any given time. 1/3 don't like him (and someday her) and 1/3 don't even know who is President!

I have seen the White House a few times in my life and I always thought of it as a pretty big house. Then in 1999, I visited Vienna and saw some Palaces. I think the White House could fit in some of the gardens of these places!

From 1993-1997, I lived in the metro Washington DC area. In 1996, I voted for the guy who lost. Thus, when 1997 rolled around for the Inauguration, I had to decide if I wanted to go to Pennsylvania avenue to see the parade. These events only occur every four years and I felt as an American citizen who lived close enough to go, to go and celebrate American democracy. I didn't vote for President Clinton but it was about honoring the President and this nation's institution.

Now, imagine, being invited to a royal wedding!

I'd go!

In the story Jesus tells in Matthew 22, some of the guests decide to ignore the invitation (verse 5), some mistreat and kill the King's messengers (verse 6) and finally, one guest who does show up isn't dressed properly (verse 12).

Jesus is using this to illustrate God's working in the world and how the people are not responding.

Thus there are four possible responses:
(1) ignore God - many people are oblivious to God
(2) actively oppose God - a quick search of the internet easily yields web sites devoted to atheism
(3) "believe" God but on your own terms - the guest who shows up but dressed improperly
(4) believe God and honor Him - taking God at his word as true, recognizing my sin and trusting in God's provision
for me in forgiving my sin and restoring my relationship to him.

Dennis Prager is fond of saying, "Happiness is a serious problem."

People sometimes have a picture of God as some cosmic kill joy.

But in this scenario, which of the four responses is the right one?

Which response leads to happiness?

3 comments:

Big Red said...

Totally agreed. Believing and Honoring God is the best.

--Lance

p.s. Dennis Prager is awesome.

Anonymous said...

You left out the most important category--try to find out the truth rather than just accepting what people tell you.

Rene said...

Indeed, find out the truth!

Examine the claims of Jesus for yourself.

For instance, I hope with all the buzz about Dan Brown and the Da Vinci Code that people will have the attitude of exploring what is being said about Jesus!

Be sure to check out http://www.thedavincidialogue.com/.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...