Devotional Thoughts: 2nd Coming - just do it

Looking at Matthew 25:31-46, the famous separation of the sheep and goat passage. To read about amazing sheep and goats, check out this page from the San Diego Zoo.

When does this happen?

Verses 31-33 says, But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate them as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

I suppose the preterist might say that this has already happened or is happening now. They would say that proclamation of the Gospel is causing a separation among the peoples of the earth. Those who have taken a hold of the Gospel in their lives are being transformed into those righteous ones which are commended.

If there are any preterists reading this blog out there, I'd be curious to hear if that is how you view this passage.

On the other hand, this event could be a future one. At some point in time, unknown to us, God will prepare a judgment on all humanity.

What will be the criteria of this judgement?

Verses 34-36, Then the King will say to those on the right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.

The righteous then wonder, when did we do this for you?

Jesus tells them, if you did it to even the least person, you did it to me.

What does this tell you about these people?

They loved people in need. They didn't check ids, they just loved them.

Religious faith that fails to act is worthless.

James 2:14-17, What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

I John 3:16-18, This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

God, it doesn't get more plain and simple than this. Help me to just do it. Help me to love those in need that come across my path. Forgive me when I'm blind to them. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...