Faith: Viral Christianity?


Image from: http://feralpastor.blogspot.com/2008/11/viral-christianity.html

As one of the Fan lab alumni, I think about viruses and how they do what they do. It is that kind of function and structure process thinking that I learned in graduate school that I carry into my continuing life as a medical researcher now studying vitamin D.

As a Jesus follower, I am drawn to the metaphor that it may offer: what viral - minimal - Christianity might look like?

Tim and I kicked around some ideas at the Fan lab reunion BBQ at the beach a while back. Since then, I've periodically let my mind wander at the possibilities of weaving "a story" using the simple retrovirus above as the hooks to hang the story.

Admittedly, analogies and metaphors do have limits but they can be helpful in stirring up thoughts.

And so here are some ideas to consider ...

From the diagram there are 5 components: RNA, gag, pol, env, lipid bilayer.

The RNA is the message. The very core of the virus. No RNA; no nothing. And so at the core of viral Christianity is the radical idea that God wants a relationship with us as individuals and as a community of faith. Think of John 3:16? I wonder how many people see that sign at a football game and know what the verse says? Well, hopefully, the viral Christian community lives in such a way that someone will grasp that wonderful message.

One of the genes coded in the RNA is gag. Gag is the protein that helps form the inner core structure of the virus. Ultimately, what separates Christianity from other world views, religious systems and organized communities is the person of Jesus. The life, death and resurrection of Jesus is what provides the shape of Christianity. Jesus teachings, moral example and righteous life must shape our communities if we claim him as Lord. Jesus and the Cross is the theological and existential focal point of grace, love, justice and forgiveness. His resurrection is the vindication of his mission and message and opens the door for us to have new life.

Another gene coded in the RNA is pol. Pol is the protein that replicates viral RNA and integrates the coded information into the host. Sounds very much like the work of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit embeds into us new coded information. This changes us. If Christianity has no capacity to change us and societies then what is it good for? And so the Spirit works to transform us and replicate this new genetic information in us.

The third gene coded in the RNA is env. Env protein pokes out of the particle and allows the particle to latch onto a cell. The particle gets into a cell because env acts as a key that opens the door to that cell. Thus, the particle of viral Christianity has love on its surface. It is love that catches people's attention. It is love that opens the door to their hearts. St. Paul said, if I have not love, I'm nothing; I'm just making noise. St. John tells us, we love because God first loved us.

The last item is the lipid bilayer. The "skin" of the viral particle is the host's lipid bilayer which is the "skin" of all our cells. And so the message of God, the core structure of Christ, the replicative and integrative power of the Spirit and the key of love is all wrapped up in human skin. Imagine that: something so valuable and beautiful and powerful wrapped up in us, in our communities of faith. Again, referencing St. Paul, treasures in jars of clay.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Feral Pastor said...

Hi Rene - Thanks for "fleshing" this out so well. I love it! Bringing in the bilayer as the "skin" is a really nice touch. It also brings to mind John 1:14 for me: "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us..." "Dwelt" as I recall, literally means "pitched his tent" (skene) which of course is about setting up your skins and getting inside. I don't want to try and make something of all that, but it's got a beautiful linguistic resonance.

Anonymous said...

Rene -
I liked your follow-up to Tim's blog post. The concept of "viral Christianity" seems to be relevant to the days that we live in.

Tim gave me permission to post his article on my site, RawReligion.com. It's a site with resources for those interested in organic/simple/missional Christianity.

Would you be willing to allow me to feature your blog post as a follow-up to Tim's?

-Matthew Berry

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...