Culture: NBC's "Kings"



When I had heard that a tv show set in a fictional modern setting was starting up based loosely on the story of David from the Hebrew Scriptures, I admit I was a bit skeptical.

The opening episodes started on Sunday night and I caught only the last part of the show. It was interesting enough that I went to Hulu to see the whole episode.

The pacing is at times uneven and some connections to the original David story are a little too cute for its own good (e.g. the hero is David Shepherd and the enemy tanks are called Goliath) but the human drama of political intrigue, courage, brokenness and faith mixed with terrific performances by Ian McShane (King Silas) and Chris Egan (David) drew me in.

I'll be checking in on Kings as it unfolds.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...