Life: ... This little chap who follows me

Saw this item over at Bruinsnation with a clip of Coach Wooden reciting a poem as part of a Gatorade ad.

A visit to Wooden's site and a click on the "favorite maxims" tab leads to a menu of quotes of which "the son follows the father" link leads to Coach talking about how he came across the poem.

A google search yields multiple hits on any of the key phrases from the poem.

Here is one of them.
A careful man I ought to be,
A little fellow follows me.
I dare not go astray,
For fear he'll go the self-same way.

I cannot once escape his eyes,
Whatever he see me do, he tries.
Like me, he says, he's going to be,
The little chap who follows me.

He thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of mine.
The base in me he must not see,
That little fellow who follows me.

I must remember as I go,
Thru summers' sun and winters' snow.
I am building for the years to be,
In the little chap who follows me.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...