Non-profit of the month: July 2011 - Arise Africa Kershaw Challenge

Arise Africa is a non-profit started by some young Americans who wanted to do something to serve the people of Africa.

It isn't a big group but it is taking practical steps to serve.

I heard about the organization because as a Dodger fan, I get occasional email notes about what is happening with the team off-the-field in addition to the usual game updates.

In what has been a tough year for Dodger fans, one bright spot has been Clayton Kershaw, the ace of the pitching staff.

But my respect for him is heightened mostly because of one of his off-the-field commitments that has come to my attention.

His wife, Ellen had been a part of Arise Africa in her college years. During the off-season, after their wedding, they went together to participate in some of the work taking place there. As a result, upon their return, they set-up the Kershaw Challenge to raise funds for an orphanage.

I'm "pitching" in by donating to the cause and hope you will "step-up to the plate" too! 8-)

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...