News: Medal of Honor to Clint Romesha

The incredible story of the battle at COP Keating and the role of Clint Romesha had on that day by Jake Tapper.

The base was attacked from all sides by Taliban early in the morning and nearly overrun. Romesha and his team was able to fight back.

An amazing story of courage under fire.

Valor according to Merriam Webster:
strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to encounter danger with firmness : personal bravery

Of course, Romesha, as have other recent recipients of the Medal of Honor have said, they simply did what they had to do.  Romesha said after the ceremony:
"I stand here with mixed emotions of both joy and sadness for me today," he said. "I don't think I'm much different than Medal of Honor recipients Sergeant First Class Petry and former Staff Sergeant Giunta and feeling conflicted with this medal I now wear. But joy comes from recognition for us doing our jobs as soldiers on distant battlefields, but is countered by the constant reminder of the loss of our battle buddies, my battle buddies, my soldiers, my friends." Romesha said he accepted "this tremendous honor on behalf of all soldiers who have served with me that day." "This award is for the eight soldiers that didn't make it and for the rest of the team that fought valiantly and magnificently that day. I will forever be humbled by their bravery, their commitment to service and their loyalty to one another."

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...