What I'm listening to


As usual, I'm behind the curve on pop culture. I recently got introduced to Coldplay's big hit Clocks.

For me, the first thing I notice is the music and if it is catchy and haunting. Then I'll hunt down lyrics which I've pasted below. Clocks has both.

I asked some friends, what does it mean?

We eventually concluded it was a love song or rather a love lost song. I suppose when you hear any song on the radio, if you say it has to do with love you would probably be right 85% of the time? What do you think? Higher or lower?

Onto the lyrics:

Lights go out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
You've put me down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead (singing)
Come out of things unsaid, shoot an apple of my head (and a)
Trouble that can't be named, tigers waiting to be tamed (singing)
You are, you are

Confusion never stops, closing walls and ticking clocks (gonna)
Come back and take you home, I could not stop, that you now know (singing)
Come out upon my seas, curse missed opportunities (am I)
A part of the cure, or am I part of the disease (singing)

You are [x6]
And nothing else compares
Oh no nothing else compares
And nothing else compares

You are [continues in background]
Home, home, where I wanted to go [x4]

Haunting.

The Matrix movies pose the question of the existence of FREE WILL. Some would deny its existence. Some would question its value if it exists.

What do you think?

Most of people are looking for love and even though many occasions we will experience the love-lost sorrow embodied in a song like Clocks, we dust ourselves off and try again. If that isn't proof of free will, I don't know what is? Love often acts so impractically and for motives beyond procreation. The existence and experience of love is beyond hard-wired biology.

UPDATE: Was looking at the lyrics again. Wonder if the lost love died? The last line if read this way: you are home (died and gone to heaven), home where I wanted to go ... hmmm ...

UPDATE: Regarding free will, here is an interesting link on the subject.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...