Wild West Coast Football from the PAC-10

Am a UCLA alum (1986) but as a sports fan have to tip my hat to USC, Leinart, Bush and Carroll for their big win yesterday. ESPN.com has essays from Wojciechowski and Maisel.

Also, must give a shout out to Coach Charlie Weiss and Notre Dame for planning and executing the game plan that left them on the doorstep of victory. As huge underdogs, they did almost everything right to capitalize on their strengths and exploit their opponent's weakness. They were soooooo close to victory but one of the intangibles that makes a team great is the will to win against all odds and USC showed that.

Meanwhile, the Drew and Drew show came through once again to save Bruin fans from heartbreak hotel. When I saw the score at 38-21, I pretty much gave up. But the gutty little Bruins managed to score 17 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to send it to overtime where they won it 44-41.

This Bruin team is reminding me of some Toledo era teams: all offense and no defense. The team is 6-0 but easily could be 3-3 as the last three games required dramatic fourth quarter heroics.

Oregon State beat Cal in an ugly game with 9 turnovers. Stanford edged hapless Arizona. Oregon took care of Washington easily.

As a UCLA alum, I want to believe UCLA will be undefeated when they clash with USC on December 3. However, they barely beat 1-5 Washington at home so the likelihood they will lose somewhere between now and then is very high.

But as a fan, I'm hoping!!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...