Pretty Talented Piano Player




Image source: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00001SIBN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Am a fan of classical music. A couple of months ago, I was in San Francisco and had the chance to attend this concert with a good friend and got introduced to Strauss' Alpine Symphony. But before the "big music" was the Beethoven Piano Concerto #4 played by a Helene Grimaud. The audience gave her warm applause upon finishing the concerto. A bouquet of roses were handed to her before she exited off stage.

I've always wondered about that phenomena. Does this always occur when the performer is a female? And the person giving the flowers? Is that guy a fan so committed to their favorite star that they would buy roses for their beloved performer? Or has someone on the symphony staff bought them and it is just another way the inviting orchestra can express their appreciation for the guest soloist?

Anybody within the click of this blog know?

You maybe wondering why am I blogging about a concert that happened two months ago and spending all this time on Ms. Grimaud?

I got the booklet for the 2004-2005 LA Philharmonic season and guess who one of the many star performers slated to grace the Disney Hall?

Grimaud will do two performances in Los Angeles.

She will join five other piano players for the Season Opening Gala on October 1 in a program entitled "Grands on Grand." Grands of course refers to pianos and Grand refers to the fact that Disney Hall is on Grand Avenue.

Her second visit to Disney will take place January 21-23, 2005 when she will play Shumann's Piano Concerto.

From her web page you can find out about the handful of CDs she has out, some photos and a web link to her other passion: the conservation of wolves.

I look forward to seeing her play Shumann as I am renewing my subscription and the "budget" series I picked includes her performance. I'll blog back about it in 2005!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...