The Edwards Pick

As a on-again-off-again mostly on-again political blog, I haven't chimed in yet on the Edwards pick.

My post a while back didn't include Edwards in the mix.

My view at the time was that the 2004 race will be close and that it will come down to flipping a few states i.e. the whole Red-state versus Blue-state thing. Hence, my thinking was that Kerry would have picked someone who could help win a specific state or make ground in a region and have enough heft to be taken seriously as a President in waiting. In my calculation, Gephardt was the best bet with perhaps a mid-western Governor as another option and finally a Florida politico. I thought there was a slim possibility that Kerry might go for a demographic pick to energize the party and sway indies. I had California Senator Feinstein as that option instead of Senator Clinton who would have fill that slot though with more controversy and baggage. I felt Edwards would have been in that catagory of pick but bring less buzz than either notible female senator.

If the media were hostile to the Kerry campaign they would be writing Edwards as Dan Quayle articles citing Edward's thin resume as a Senator. But since the media is anti-Bush, Edwards is being lauded as a great choice.

So if the first criteria of a VP pick is do no harm, than Kerry has done that.

And if the second criteria is produce some positive buzz, than Kerry has done that.

Let the campaign begin ... err go on!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...