Scheherazade's Gift

As any regular reader knows, I tend to draw upon political blogs. But I do sometimes read diaristic blogs and one of my favorites is Scheherazade's "Stay of Execution". Sherry, as she is sometimes called, lives in Maine and is a lawyer.

Some of us have a certain picture of the legal profession and it is easy enough to think ill of them. The antidote to this of course is to actually know some lawyers which I do from my brief four years in the Washington DC area. So I've found myself thinking, okay, I may like individual lawyers I meet and be skeptical of the profession!

Anyway, reading Sherry's writing shows me that wisdom once again. She has many fans in the blogosphere because she gives "inside baseball" and she gives us snapshots of her life that are honest and uplifting.

Just happen to catch her latest post where she gives a toast to a newlywed couple. Of the bride she said:
You have always, always been fun. And your fun is a special kind of fun. It is a creative, silly, joyous, social fun. You are always laughing, and we laugh with you. It is an intelligent, self-deprecating, nimble, romping warm fun. It springs from a deep love and wonder of the world, an utter lack of pretense or self-consciousness, and an energy and enthusiasm that few possess.
Of the groom she said:
You have a rare presence. You seek to know the world deeply, and your quiet curiosity, your unassuming but articulate voice makes us understand better why we, too, love the things we do. You connect the past and the present and the future, you see meaning and patterns and this special vision is a gift to us all.
And of the couple she said:
If Autumn is a fire, Tony, you are the hearth, made from deep Montana stone. The two of you together create a glow that has brought us here, to be warmed and lit up by our love for you, and by your love for each other. Thank you.
Wow! I don't know these people and I'm move to tears.

I suppose maybe my mood is in a certain way right now. See yesterday's post and perhaps that is why reading Sherry's latest hit me so deeply.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...