Devotional Thoughts: Keeping a cool head and a warm heart

Am looking at Philippians 4:2-9.

In this passage we get to see some final thoughts from Paul as he winds up the letter.

The church at Philippi was a real church with people with names and alas some conflict!

I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Euodia and Syntyche's names only appear here in the New Testament. From here, we find they were part of the ministry team with Paul, someone called "true companion" (loyal Syzygus is in the footnotes), Clement and "rest of my fellow workers."

The fact that Paul, in a letter to the church which would be read publicly, brings up all these names and asks them to all get involved in solving the problem suggests the disagreement was rather large and of long standing.

We know from Matthew 18:15-17 the pattern Jesus gave for confronting sin begins with one-on-one dialog, moves to a small group of individual hashing it out and finally bringing it to the whole church. By including this matter in a letter to the church, Paul has raised the heat on getting them to resolve their differences.

What the problem was isn't knowable to us today. It is known to the parties involved and thus didn't need re-airing in Paul's letter. I suppose if there was some theological error, Paul might have taken the opportunity in the letter to clarify it. Likewise, if there was moral failing, Paul would directly address it as well. If I had to guess, the problem was probably a disagreement on how to do something and was a matter of opinion and preference.

With the church perhaps divided and downcast over the conflict, Paul turns them to the Lord and hits the theme of rejoicing once again.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.

In light of the conflict, he also urges them to be reasonable.

Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.

There are some issues where we need to take a stand and be firm. But some issues simply aren't at that level and we can agree to disagree on some of them.

I can't help but think of the "serenity prayer" you sometimes see in posters.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -- Reinhold Niebuhr
And so how do we get to reasonableness?

Prayer helps!

The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Paul finishes this section by encouraging the Philippians to set there minds on good things.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Paul's beautiful exhortation is the positive way of saying what is captured in the negative but colorful saying, "garbage in and garbage out."

Or as Proverbs 23:7 says, For as he thinks within himself, so he is.

God, help me to rejoice in you especially when I get caught up in problems. Help me to be able to put things in perspective through prayer. The situation might or might not change but my attitude certainly can. Help me as I live in this world where there are so many things I should not be putting into my mind are all around. Help me instead to put into my mind that which is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent and praiseworthy. Forgive me when so often I do not. Help me Lord to set my mind on you. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...