Devotional Thoughts: Restore what the locusts have eaten

Am looking at Joel 2:18-27.

Previously, we saw vivid descriptions of the locust swarm that was about to hit the nation. This was followed by a call to return to God. This was the organization of chapter one as well as the beginning part of chapter two.

Here we continue on in chapter two and find the response of God.

Then the LORD became jealous for his land
and had pity on his people.


Ever heard of the word, anthropomorphism?

This idea is the habit of humans to give human attributes to the non-human. Some might go so far as to say, humans have created god in his own image. Certainly, those who don't believe in god would spin it that way.

However, if there is a god, then how do we describe that god?

Alas, we have to use human terms however imperfect they may be.

In my journey of faith, the book Disappointment with God helped me more fully grab onto the idea of God as wanting a relationship with us.

Indeed, there are descriptions of God as fiery and angry at sin and evil and injustice. And there are passages like this one where God is seen as compassionate and desiring restoration.

The LORD answered and said to his people,
"Behold, I am sending to you
grain, wine, and oil,
and you will be satisfied;
and I will no more make you
a reproach among the nations.

Then the passage briefly switches to what happens to the locusts.

"I will remove the northerner far from you,
and drive him into a parched and desolate land,
his vanguard into the eastern sea,
and his rear guard into the western sea;
the stench and foul smell of him will rise,
for he has done great things.

They are once again personified as an enemy army. Because of the geography of the land of Israel, many invaders would come from the north.

The eastern sea is probably a reference to the Dead Sea and the western sea would obviously be the Mediterranean. These explanations were offered in one of the resource books I've been looking at occasionally as I read through Joel has been Bible Background Commentary - Old Testament". I also have the companion volume for the New Testament.

Joel returns to sharing the positive news of God's blessing returning to the nation as a result of their repentance.

"Fear not, O land;
be glad and rejoice,
for the LORD has done great things!
Fear not, you beasts of the field,
for the pastures of the wilderness are green;
the tree bears its fruit;
the fig tree and vine give their full yield.

"Be glad, O children of Zion,
and rejoice in the LORD your God,
for he has given the early rain for your vindication;
he has poured down for you abundant rain,
the early and the latter rain, as before.

"The threshing floors shall be full of grain;
the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.
I will restore to you the years
that the swarming locust has eaten,
the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter,
my great army, which I sent among you.

"You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
and praise the name of the LORD your God,
who has dealt wondrously with you.
And my people shall never again be put to shame.
You shall know that I am in the midst of Israel,
and that I am the LORD your God and there is none else.
And my people shall never again be put to shame.

Isn't this a beautiful turn of phrase, I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten.

Certainly, in the past few days as we remembered 9/11, sadness draped over many people. Even living here in Los Angeles and not knowing anyone who was lost, I felt the sense of mourning and just didn't have any spring in my step on Monday. I can't imagine what it was like for those who did lose someone.

Yet, I'd like to believe, for all those family and friends, hope rises with the morning and that during the day, new blessings mingle together with sad memories and that at the end of the day, there is satisfaction and gratitude that the mercies of God have ruled the day.

Lord, we have all suffered loss in some way. Yet, in this story, there is restoration. Help me to turn to you with all the broken pieces of my life and give them over to you. I ask that you would restore and re-create as you will the features of my life. Amen.

1 comment:

Sean Dietrich said...

Great blogging.
I would be honored if you would check out my site. I am a musician and all my music is free on my site. Anyway, just wanted to share.

-Sean
___________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...