Culture: How does military service affect how we view someone?

Hugh Hewitt was discussing this question in this afternoon's radio show.

The first time I heard Hewitt bring up the topic was at the Friday night session at GodBlogCon 2006 at Biola.

From my perspective, I honor those who have served and do serve now.

If I have in front of me two fairly evenly matched candidates and one has military service and one doesn't, I would most likely support the one who has served. Of course if there is a candidate who served but I completely disagree on many policy positions, I will not vote for him/her but I would respect, honor and appreciate their service.

There is something honorable and noble for someone to choose to serve in the military.

I know there is a certain segment of the population who disdain the military. However, I suspect that group is a small minority.

When I attended the UCLA vs. USC football game recently, there were military personnel in attendance. I suppose they might have been guests of either the USC or UCLA athletic program or maybe of the Rose Bowl organizers. In any case, they were in full dress uniform and on the football field being led around by some official looking individual.

What struck me was the reaction they received when that official led them off the field and into the stands.

Here we are in the middle of an intense rivalry game with fans following every play on the field carefully and guess what?

I heard applause and cheers. I looked over to see what was going on. I saw the military personnel walking up the aisle and people who were standing turned to them and started to applaud. Immediately, I got up and joined in. Others who were seated throughout our section of the stadium began to notice and they turned from watching the game, got up and also applauded.

I can imagine in a Southern California group of fans, many may not even be supportive of the war in Iraq. However, when they saw these men in their full dress uniforms walking by, they honored them.

In my mind, I might not vote for someone simply because they served but it would be viewed as a positive aspect in my consideration of them.

There is something honorable and noble for someone to choose to serve in the military.

If you have served or are serving in defense of liberty and our nation as you click on this blog, Thank you for your service!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...