Non-Profit of the Month: July 2007 - Union Rescue Mission

One of the sad realities of life in the city is the difficulty of providing help for the homeless.

There are many organizations dedicated to helping the homeless with alcohol and drug rehab, temporary shelter, job training and other services. However, not all the homeless take the opportunity to use them.

So what do you do when you encounter a pan-handler?

I have to confess most times I just ignore them. I feel badly doing so but what can I really do for them?

I have on occasion given them money but have I just enabled that person to get more alcohol or drugs?

I have on occasion said, I'll buy you some food if the person is near a fast food place. I have to say no one has taken me up on the offer.

On occasion, if I saw the guy before I went into the fast food place or the market, when I leave I might offer them something that I had bought. More often than not this is accepted by them.

A number of years ago, I had dinner with a friend in a restaurant in San Francisco and we had left overs. We left the restaurant and we came across a panhandler and she looked at me and I looked at her and we gave him our leftovers. The other night, I was walking from a restaurant with my bag of leftovers. When I saw the homeless guy, I thought about that night in SF with my good hearted female friend, and it a blink of an eye, I offered my food to him and he accepted. He asked for some money while I handed it over to which I said, sorry, but I hope the food helps some. I prayed for him as I walked away and I prayed for people who work with people in such situations.

This incident leads to this post.

Periodically, I will give to an organization that helps the down and out of our city.

One of the most noted in the city of Los Angeles is Union Rescue Mission.

And so for this month's non-profit of the month post, I am encouraging you to consider giving to Union Rescue Mission or some other organization doing similar work in our city. I just went online and did so. Its easy and its a simple way to help.

If it were up to me (I'm a molecular biologist not a social worker) it wouldn't happen.

I thank God that there are people who have the heart and the training to help people in these difficult situations.

1 comment:

Looking to Quit said...

I battled an addiction for 3 years but now have found solace in recovery. A nice informational site at http://www.myaddiction.com

Take care.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...