Devotional Thoughts: the heavens declare the glory of God

Got back from business and vacation travel a few days back. Hope to have photos and travelogue posted at some point.

The photo to the right (click on it to get a larger view) was taken at sunrise on the eastern shore of Kauai!

This morning as I read Psalm 19, I was transported in my memories back to those few days of enjoying the natural beauty of Kauai.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands ...

The Psalmist David goes on for five more verses about the wonders of the natural world with which he would have been very familiar from all his time outside as a shepherd.

As an urban dweller living in the 21st century concrete jungle of Los Angeles, there is a mystical and magical feeling that comes over me when I get to see the natural world. This sense of the ineffable that is behind the natural world, I call God.

While I'm at it, let me toss out another GRE idea: cosmological argument. Simply put, if there is a creation then there must be a creator.

For me, that makes sense. For some others, that isn't enough.

Indeed, is it enough for us to look at the natural world and say, yup, there must be a God out there?

The Psalmist doesn't stop with six verses extolling the natural beauty of the world around him. He then goes into verses 7 to 14 extolling the wonder of God's revelation.

The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.

The precepts of the LORD are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.

The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the LORD are sure
and altogether righteous.

They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the comb.

By them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.

Who can discern his errors?
Forgive my hidden faults.

Keep your servant also from willful sins;
may they not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless,
innocent of great transgression.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Dear Gracious God, thank you that you have given me eyesight to see the beauty of the world you have made, ears to hear the sounds of splashing waves and the ability to feel the pleasure of sand and water on my feet. For me, these things point to the greatness of your power and creativity. But most of all thank you for the Word. The Word as in Jesus who came to live, die and rise again for your lost creatures. The Word as in Jesus who came to show us what truth, beauty and goodness is. And, thank you for the Word as in the Scriptures that you have preserved for us to learn from, be encouraged by and challenged with. Thank you for the Word as in the Scriptures that testify of the Word, Jesus, my Lord and my Savior. May the meditation of my heart and the way of my life be pleasing in your sight. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...