Non-Profit of the Month: September 2007 - International Justice Mission and Oasis USA

In my most recent devotional thoughts post, I included a prayer to fight against human trafficking.

The reason that issue was on my mind is that within the span of a few days I got emails from friends who expressed their concern about that issue.

One of the links sent to me was the Not For Sale campaign home page.

Their slogan is: I am not for sale. You are not for sale. No one should be for sale. Become an abolitionist.

You might wonder ... what? Slavery? It is long gone!

Think again.

I can't turn a blind eye to it. I must do what I can to help fight this injustice.

One of my friends is doing a Triathlon in Pasadena on September 15, 2007 as fundraiser. To read more about Oasis USA, go here. They are doing local projects to meet urban needs and educating and mobilizing people about injustice locally and around the globe.

The other organization I am supporting for this month is International Justice Mission. They are one of the partner organizations in the Not For Sale Campaign. Their aim:
Victim Relief - Relieve the victim of the abuse currently being committed.
Perpetrator Accountability - Bring accountability and just consequences under the law to the specific perpetrator(s) of abuse.
Structural Prevention - Prevent the abuse from being committed against others who are also at risk by strengthening community factors that are likely to deter potential oppressors, reduce the vulnerability of at-risk populations and empower local authorities to stop such abuses.
Victim Aftercare - Provide access to services to help victims transition to their new lives and to encourage long-term success.


I have a couple of friends who are big supporters of their work and since I trust them I trust this organization to be on the frontline of this fight.

Please look into organizations who are in the fight against slavery in our world today. Select one you can support and back them up with some dollars.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...