Politics: Election Day In America

Got to my polling place 10 minutes before opening at 7AM. By the time, the poll worker announced, "The polls are open," there were 20 in line. I got in and marked my ballot with the ink-a-vote pen and feed it into the reader. My ballot was the second one cast.

All across America, this civic ritual is taking place in fire stations, homes, schools, church gyms and condo/apartment recreation rooms.

As one born in the USA, I've known this opportunity since I was 18. This morning, I think about those new citizens and the excitement they feel the first time they cast a ballot. For some in this world, casting a vote is a charade for dictators to say they have 99% of the support of their people. For some in this world, the possibility doesn't even exist.

Let us take on this responsibility with gratitude and sober mind. And let us offer up a prayer for those elected to govern whether we voted for them or not.


No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...