Politics: the Power of Voter Turnout

I've understood in the abstract that if you can turnout your voters you can win.

From the election day numbers, there was a D+6 turnout and Romney took independents by 5 and President Obama won re-election handily.

Show me the numbers:

Plugging in the numbers described above along with some other bits of information I've heard regarding the exit polls, you get a 3% win.

How much would the turnout need to change in order to tip the balance?

Scenario 2 has D+2.

If you had scenario 1 (D+6), how many independents would you need to win to change the outcome?

That is scenario 3 where Romney would have won if he could win independents by 16%.

Suffice to say, it is probably easier (though not easy) to bring the D+6 down to D+2 than to move independents from +5 to +16!

Now, I can see why they say, it is all about turnout.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...