Devotional Thoughts: Growing in giving

A break from the usual devotional thoughts from Matthew.

Instead, for some reason, I'm thinking about financial giving as an act of worship and service to God.

I know some people have very strong views about 10% (the tithe) while others say it is a guideline and a worthy goal for those giving less than 10% and certainly not an upper limit for those who are able to give more.

I think the amount is less crucial than the character development that takes place while deciding to give.

When I say character development, I am thinking of four phases of growth. Step one would be going from not giving at all to giving some amount. At this stage, the giving might still be with some reluctance but it is a starting point. If I'm giving 0% then it is growth to start giving 2%. Step two growth would be to give cheerfully. Okay, I once was giving 2% with some grinding of teeth but now, I am cheerfully doing so. Step three would be to up the percentage. For instance, I could look at my budget and decide to increase my giving to 4%. I think step four in growth in giving is to do so sacrificially. In this setting, I look at my monthly budget and I decide, I will forgo this or that so I can give more.

Lord, help me to be grateful for all you provide. Give me growth in giving to your work and the meeting of others in need. Please work in my heart so that I will learn to give more with cheerfulness and sacrificially.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...