Devotional Thoughts: Be like Paul and Timothy

Philippians 2:19-24 is one of many personal passages in the Letter to the Phippians.

I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you.

In those days, there was no cell phones, no video conferencing, no internet. News traveled by word of mouth.

Paul, sitting in his jail cell, wondered how are those folks doing back there in Philippi?

He desired to send his trusted apprentice Timothy to them so he can get news about how they are doing.

We see here why Paul trusted Timothy so much.

For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare ...

I know it is very easy for me to get into an I, I, I, me, me, me mindset!

One clear mark of Christian growth is when we began to care about other people and the cause of Christ. Timothy definitely had those qualities.

They all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel. I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me, and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also.

Paul was a single guy (see 1 Corinithians 7). Nonetheless, he experienced the joys of investing in the life of someone younger than himself.

Those who have the opportunities to be fathers in a traditional family have a great ministry for the cause of Christ. We singles need to pray for our married friends who are raising kids because in our crazy mixed up society, it is a really hard job!

We singles need to go a step further: find young people to invest our lives in - members of our immediate and extended families, kids of our friends and budding adults in our church youth groups.

Lord, please strengthen families. The media is everywhere promoting lifestyles that are not honoring of God and destructive in subtle and not so subtle ways. I lift up parents to you. Help them to pray for their kids, talk to their kids, spend time with their kids and in words and deeds show what it means to put Jesus first in their lives. Help me to see how I can be a role model for the young people you bring into my life. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...