Travel: Taste testing camping food

Over the last few months I've been taste testing various freeze-dried backpacking food.

I've tried the following:
Mountain House's Rice and Chicken
Alpine Aire's Sierra Chicken
Backpacker's Pantry Chicken Cashew Curry
Richmoor's Natural High Classic Beef Stroganoff.

All four came in convenient foil pouches that stand up after you add hot water to them.

My very brief reviews:

Rice and Chicken was really salty ... a little too salty. I suppose you could add more water but then it would probably get soupy which I suppose is okay since after a day of hiking it will help you re-hydrate!

Sierra Chicken and Chicken Cashew Curry were both rather bland.

Classic Beef Stroganoff was not bad. It is, after all, just freeze-dried food but this seem to go above bland and offer some taste without crossing over into excessive saltiness.

I'll be trying a few more and reporting back.

Bon Appetite and happy trails!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...