Devotional Thoughts: Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled Me


image source: http://stephiles.blogspot.com/2008/01/proverbs-14-verse-4.html

By the way, the blog post I got the photo from has a positive spin on the role of oxen in our lives!

But for this blog post, I wanted you to see how big one is. And imagine how scary it would be to be surrounded by a bunch of these critters. And of course, they have horns! Though the one above has little nubs on the horns!

In case you are curious, Bashan appears to be the northmost of eastern Palastine, now modern day Syria. For more about Bashan see here.

Am looking at Psalm 22:12-21 this morning.

Many bulls have surrounded Me;
Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled Me.
They gape at Me with their mouths,
Like a raging and roaring lion.
I am poured out like water,
And all My bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax;
It has melted within Me.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
And My tongue clings to My jaws;
You have brought Me to the dust of death.
For dogs have surrounded Me;
The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me.
They pierced My hands and My feet;
I can count all My bones.
They look and stare at Me.
They divide My garments among them,
And for My clothing they cast lots.

Looks pretty grim, eh? Kind of like that crisis clinic about to go over the falls?


image source: http://www.lechatnoirboutique.com/products.php?pg=16

Anyway, back to the emotional mood of the text. I suppose when we are in a jam, we can exaggerate the situation? Or it really is quite grim and we feel it is quite bleak and as such our powers of poetry and metaphor becomes quite active in describing the predicament we are in.

What struck me was the usage of some creatures of the animal kingdom to embody the threats being faced: bulls (many and strong!), lion (raging and roaring!) and dogs (a whole congregation of wicked ones surrounding and enclosing!).

What happens next?

But You, O LORD, do not be far from Me;
O My Strength, hasten to help Me!
Deliver Me from the sword,
My precious life from the power of the dog.
Save Me from the lion’s mouth
And from the horns of the wild oxen!
You have answered Me.

Eh, no problem, with the LORD answering, the dogs, lion and oxen are dispatched!

Lord, help me to bring my troubles to you. Thank you that you will find it okay if I prattle on and on about my troubles. Help bring me to the point of trust. It may take time to get there but please get me there! Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...