Life: Community-Acquired Pneumonia

Earlier this month I had the flu. I returned to work for 1 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately, by the middle of the month, I got hit with one of the complications that can follow on the heels of the flu: pneumonia.

I wasn't feeling great on the Wednesday night from a week and a half ago. I made it into work on Thursday but by half the day, I was coughing so hard everything hurt. And when I wasn't coughing, I felt aches from my feet up to my headache fogged head. I got home and poked a thermometer in my mouth as I was shivering under the blankets.

I hit 101F and called the MD to set up an appointment for Friday.

I straggled into the office and after a description of my symptoms, he tested my temperature and I clocked in at 102.3. He listened to my lungs and said, that sounds a bit odd. His diagnosis: community-acquired pneumonia. Since I didn't get it while in a hospital, it is called "community-acquired."

I got a prescription for Azithromycin. It was for 6 tablets. The plan called for me to take 2 on day 1 and then 1 tablet on day 2,3,4 and 5. The antibiotic is supposed to be long acting and that the levels of drug should be active in my system for 10 days overall.

I also was given an RX for Hydromet cough syrup.

I was also instructed to take acetaminophen for fever. Additionally, I was to soak in lukewarm water to help bring down fever as needed.

I got my meds and got home and took them. I felt awful. I took my temperature and clocked in at 102.7. I made a bath of lukewarm water and soaked for 30 minutes which got my fever down to 100.8 and I got out and feel fast asleep.

Well, it is now Saturday night, one week plus one day from my diagnosis, I'm feeling better but the cough still lingers and I simply feel exhausted.

If you blunder onto this blog because you are reading about pneumonia because either you have it or someone you know has it, all I can say is I feel your pain, its pretty icky and take care and hope you get better soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you can get some rest and take it easy on this long weekend. Hope you're feeling better soon - that sounds like no fun whatsoever.

Brant

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...