Devotional Thoughts: Sabbath in the 21st Century

Previously, had some thoughts on Sabbath.
Excerpt:

Let us seek the wisdom of God and encourage each other to find practical ways to set aside time to differentiate Sabbath from the rest of the week and make it sweet and beautiful. Each of us has different life situations, so our Sabbaths won’t look alike, but each of us has a need to carve out time to cease, to stop and to rest so we can remember. Whatever it looks like for you, find the answer to this question: how shall we organize our time to serve the causing of remembering?

What are some of the things that you do to help yourself to rest and remember?

We all have different situations so there isn't a one-size fits all way to approach the practice of Sabbath.

For me, part of Sabbath is the typical idea of ceasing from work life, in my case, from Saturday sundown to Sunday sundown. Like most of folks, I work Monday to Friday but occasionally on Saturday for a few hours but not often. I sometimes check work emails or do "paperwork" on the weekends. But, as much as possible, I try to refrain from work life from Saturday sundown to Sunday sundown.

Because the Internet is such a part of my connection to normal daily life, I have decided part of my Sabbath observance is to take a break from the Internet from Saturday sundown to Sunday sundown. I try to sharply curtail my usage. I feel doing this is a tangible way for me to stop my regular life and thus make Sabbath special.

Lastly, not in a very strict way, but as a matter of preference, I try to reduce activities of commerce from Saturday sundown to Sunday sundown.

In terms of positive actions, for Sabbath, I go to church on Sunday which helps me remember God and reflect on what Jesus has done on the Cross and be encouraged and challenged to live my life with justice and mercy in mind. I also try to reserve Saturday sundown to Sunday Sundown for family and friends. Lastly, I make an effort to rest by doing nothing and taking naps! I'll do some reading with the restriction that it be non-work related or non-political since I'm a political news junkie!

So how about you?

What do you do for your Sabbath?

How are you serving the cause of remembering?

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...