Politics: Mitt Romney Campaign Biography Film



Didn't get to watch too much of the conventions on TV. TV news coverage is filtered by the reporters and editors and it does seem like they prefer to highlight Gov. Romney's mis-statements and cast him in a negative light in their stories.

Of course, the campaign biography film is also an edited product to highlight the positive. So above, in the event you didn't get to see it on TV, was the film shown at the GOP Convention.

Having followed Presidential politics all my adult life, I have developed strong views on most public policy questions. Along the way, I also try to find out some of the personal stories of those who run for high office. In most cases, their lives are a bit more interesting than what is often revealed in the 30 second sound bites and 2 minute news reports. Thus, even though I may disagree with certain politicians about their policy views, I usually have some appreciation for their personal stories and seek those articles out to get a more "human" picture of who they are.

Of the current "big 4" right now, Joe Biden is probably the most lambasted. And indeed, he has provided plenty of "foot in mouth" clips for political friends and foes alike.

Nonetheless, in my readings, I came across the story of the death of his first wife and daughter. No doubt, it could have been very easy for him to have given up on life but he didn't and was a devoted single father to his two sons during that difficult time. He would eventual meet and marry his current wife in one of those almost unbelievable stories that are in the end almost typical of how two people meet and build a life together.

Thus, as we get into the final laps of campaign 2012, I will be trying my best in this blog space to offer useful political opinion and news and hopefully fair minded criticism without too much negativity that often is a part of political punditry. Taking a page from George H. W. Bush, you might say, I aim to be a "kinder and gentler" political pundit.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...