Bret Stephens of Wall Street Journal and his concerns about Trump

Stephens was interviewed by Hugh Hewitt recently and offered his thoughts.

Excerpt:

Stephens: I will never vote for Donald Trump. I have a very, very hard time voting for Mrs. Clinton. I have been, I have been writing about Hillary Clinton, I just actually looked this up, since 1998 when she was busy standing by when Suha Arafat was launching anti-Semitic tirades against Israel and the Jews. And Hillary Clinton’s record in office is dreadful. Her ideas are dreadful. They will make us less safe. So, but there is no way I’m going to vote for a guy who is just totally uninformed, un-presidential as Donald Trump is. 
[........] 
Who knows better than you what it means to have a commander-in-chief who lived his entire life, who lived throughout the entire Cold War, and doesn’t know what the nuclear triad is? It’s absolutely astonishing. And so it’s terrific to have Joe Dunford and you know, perhaps John Bolton and other people in positions of trust. But you have to have a president who bothered over the last 70 years to gain a cursory understanding of how the world works. And on so many issues, Hugh, on so many issues, I know not all of the issue, but on so many issues, this guy is just the antithesis of what I’d want a Republican president to be on foreign policy. 
[.......] 
 The United States survives so long as at least one of its major parties is politically and intellectually healthy. I don’t think the Republican Party, or I should say the Republican Party as the vehicle for modern American conservative ideas, survives with Donald Trump.

As a practical matter, in California, I don't have to worry that my vote will make any difference. Clinton is going to get all of California's electoral votes no matter what people like me (who don't want to vote for Clinton or Trump) do. My decision is whether to skip the POTUS part of the ballot or to cast a "protest" vote for a minor party candidate.

George Will not only won't vote for Trump, he has changed his voter registration in Maryland from Republican to unaffiliated.

I will wait for the GOP convention in Cleveland. There is a slim chance probably 1 in a 1000 that they will dump Trump and pick someone else. If they indeed nominate Trump, I'll file to change my voter registration from Republican to "decline to state" which is the term used in California forms.

From 1981 to 1993 I was registered in California as a "decline to state."

From 1993 to 1996, I was an unaffiliated Maryland voter.

From 1996 to 1997, I was a Republican registered voter in Maryland. I cast a protest vote for Steve Forbes that year.

From 1997 to today, I have been a registered Republican in California.

In Presidential primaries since, I have voted:
2000 - McCain
2004 - Bush
2008 - Romney
2012 - Romney
2016 - Kasich

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...