Author Iris Chang, 1968-2004

I was shocked to hear the news that author, Iris Chang was found dead of an apparent suicide. She was 36.

I had the chance to hear her speak at the 2004 UCLA-Los Angeles Times Festival of Books. I wrote these two blog posts about the sessions she was involved with.

She was passionate about bringing to the light aspects of Chinese history that were little in the public consciousness. As I watched her speak, she was so full of life.

Yet, as I read the news item about her death, it was reported that she was recently hospitalized for depression and one would guess was probably still being treated for it after being released.

If you or you think a loved one is suffering from depression, please check this web page from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Additional information can be found at the Prozac web page.

After reading those pages, if necessary, get help for yourself or your loved one.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...