Devotional Thoughts: Paul, Silas and Timothy - a band of brothers

With the previously concluded devotional thoughts series on Joel, what shall I contemplate next?

I decided to go back to the Christian Scriptures and again select a relatively short book.

So for today's reflections, please go to 1 Thessalonians 1:1-2.

Paul, Silas and Timothy,
To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace and peace to you.

We have no idea what these guys look like. But I have to say I am always curious how artisans portray people we have no images of.


image source: http://www.artchive.com/artchive/E/el_greco/el_greco_st_paul.jpg.html

As you can see there are two things in St. Paul's hands: a sword and a letter. Makes me think of the adage, "the pen is mightier than the sword." The Apostle Paul is believed to have written 13 of the letters in the Christian Scriptures. These writings have had a major part in shaping Christian theology and morality and Christianity has had its impact on the world. When God guides the pen, it is indeed mightier than the sword!


image source: http://www.tomwhitestudio.com/midnightsong.html

Paul and Silas were imprisoned in Acts 16. Silas joining the mission's team was in the midst of some personal tension between Paul and Barnabas. One wonders if he ever had doubts about being a missionary! Yet, he was praying, singing and preaching with Paul while in that prison!


Image source: http://www.comeandseeicons.com/inp122.htm

Here is an iconographic representation of Timothy from an Orthodox Church artist.

UPDATE: the image is copyrighted and so it won't usually pipe into the web page. To see the image I'm refering to click here.

When I see this image ... I see a youngish looking Timothy with a full head of hair. He has one hand open and pointing up to God which makes me think of his job as a pastor pointing the way to God and opening his life to his flock. In his other hand is a book, the source of his preaching and the guide for his life.

What would have been in that book when he was a pastor?

At that time, the Christian Scriptures would not have been officially complied in the form we have today. However, a surmise of the content of Timothy's book: accounts of the life and teachings of Jesus as told by the original disciples, letters from Paul and other notes that Timothy may have jotted down from his time as Paul's assistant and portions of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Whenever I think of Timothy, I think of this passage in 1 Timothy 4:11-16.
Command and teach these things. Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
Lord, I pray that you will help me to live a honorable life. It is my desire to grow into greater love, faith and purity. You have given me an opportunity to work with young people at my church. Help me to be an example of living out real faith. I don't want some abstract faith but a real one that involves the heart, mind, soul, body and spirit that makes a difference in the here and now. Grant me insight when I share with them the wisdom that is in the Scriptures you provide that helps guide our lives. Lord forgive me my many faults and strengthen me when discouragement sets in. In those times, help me to be like Silas when in the prison, he looked up in prayer and sang to you and proclaimed you to those in that place. Lord, help me to be like Paul in recognizing that there is a spiritual war at hand and my whole life must be wholly given to you. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...