Religion: What do we reallly mean by inspired?

What do we mean when we say, I was inspired to do X, Y or Z?

What do we mean when we say, religious text A, B or C is inspired?

These questions have been rattling in my mind lately.

With all the news about Islam everywhere, the meaning of inspiration of a religious text is a pertinent question.

From my understanding, Muslims hold a very high view of the Koran. Excerpt:
Muslims believe the Qur'an to be the literal word of God (Arabic: Allah) as revealed to Muhammad, over a period of twenty-three years by the angel Gabriel and regard it as God's final revelation to humankind. Muslims also call the Qur'an the "Final Testament", "The Book", "Book of God" and "The Revelation."
However, most of us are alarmed by the fruits of some of the followers of Islam.

One has to wonder, is it the Koran itself? Or is it the Islamic notion of inspiration? Or is it a particular interpretation?

As a Christian, I have to ask myself, what do I mean when I say the Christian Scriptures are inspired? Is the Christian concept of inspiration the same or different than the Islamic one?

I want to go back and stress some part of Islam.

Dennis Prager recently had a moderate Muslim on his radio program. Aslam Abdullah is editor of the Muslim Observer, director of the Islamic Society of Nevada, Las Vegas and director of the Muslim Electorates Council of America.

Aslam Abdullah wrote this item in the Las Vegas Review Journal. Excerpt:
The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Hamza al-Muhajer, recently issued a decree to its supporters: Kill at least one American in the next two weeks "using a sniper rifle, explosive or whatever the battle may require."

Well, Abu Hamza al-Muhajer, I am an American too. Count me as the one of those you have asked your supporters to kill.
.............
You say that the word of God is the highest. Yes, it is. But you are not worthy of it. You have abandoned God and you have started worshipping your own satanic egos that rejoice at the killing of innocent people. You don't represent Muslims or, for that matter, any decent human being who believes in the sanctity of life. Many among us American Muslims have differences with our administration on domestic and foreign issues, just like many other Americans do. But the plurality of opinions does not mean that we deprive ourselves of the civility that God demands from us. America is our home and will always be our home. Its interests are ours, and its people are ours. When you talk of killing of Americans, you first have to kill 6 million or so Muslims who will stand for every American's right to live and enjoy the life as commanded by God.
Bravo! A courageous man speaking the truth. Hopefully, more will stand up against the radicals.

But my question remains: when a person claims their religious text is inspired, what do they mean?

As a Christian, what do I mean when I believe the Christian Bible is inspired?

I'm still mulling it over and hope to post a provisional working definition at some point in time. I'm sure a Google search would yield some good ones but I think I'll try to generate version 1.0 without consulting experts. Version 1.0 will NOT be my final answer! 8-)

Discuss amongst yourselves and feel free to comment!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...