Devotional Thoughts: Came with nothing, leave with nothing

Continuing on to Job 1:13-22.

One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

According to the Jewishencyclopedia.com, the Sabeans were from southeastern Arabia. In any case, they raided the area, killed the servants and took all oxen and donkeys. A fire in the sky - lightening ? - killed the sheep and more servants. And then lastly, Chaldeans (perhaps the ancestors of the Babylonians which is now modern day Iraq) killed more servants and took the camels.

These verses described the loss of what Job had.

While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

Job had 10 children and now they were all dead killed by a tornado.

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

How many of us would shake a fist at God for much less?

I confess, I can, at times, really whine about my circumstances and indeed, sometimes, I do shake a fist at God!

As I read this passage, I can't help but think of the famous song from Kansas, Dust in the Wind:
I close my eyes only for a moment and the moments gone
all my dreams pass before my eyes a curiosity
dust in the wind all we are dust in the wind

Some old song just a drop of water in the endless see
all we do crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see
dust in the wind

Now, don't hang on nothing last forever but the earth and sky
it slips away and all my money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind all we are dust in the wind
dust in the wind dust in the wind
Lord, the age old question of would I follow you even if my circumstances changed? I want to believe that if push came to shove, I would be able to be like Job. But I know from my life experience, I would not react as Job did with humble worship before you recognizing I came into the world with nothing and will leave with nothing. Help me to be grateful for all you provide. Help me to live life fully knowing my life is but a vapor. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...