Sports: And there were 16

4 #1 seeds made it through. I think that is unusual?

Anyway, they all looked pretty good in their wins and so perhaps we may have for the first time ever 4 #1s make it to the Final Four?

Suffice to say as a UCLA alum, I'm hoping at least one #2 seed crashes the party!

Of the six power conferences, they got in 12 teams (3 Pac-10, 3 SEC, 2 Big-12, 2 Big-East, 1 Big-10 and 1 ACC).

Of the 6 Pac-10 teams, the three (USC, Oregon and UCLA) more athletic ones got in. Following conference play during the season, I felt that WSU and Stanford were probably a step slower. Arizona was an enigma with all the talent in the world but somehow the pieces just never fell into place. As for UCLA, I think they are NOT as athletic as USC or Oregon but their pieces fit together well. USC clearly flew under the national radar but after the mauling they gave Texas, now everyone outside the Pac-10 knows these guys are for real. UNC will need their A game to beat USC and even then I think it will be a contest. Oregon had a mid-season slump but has been strong since.

There are no double digit seeds still in the tournament but Butler and Southern Illinois did a fine job upholding mid-major pride! I suppose UNLV is sort of a mid-major team too? Memphis has been a powerhouse for a while but it hails from the relatively weak CUSA. Gonzaga is in that category too though this year they had a harder time in the WCC than in the past.

Predictions:
Of the #1 seeds, I think UNC is at the greatest risk because USC has the athletes that can cause trouble. That should be the most exciting match up in the next round. Next, I would say Ohio State will have its hands full with the up-tempo style of Tennessee.

Of the mid-majors, Southern Illinois (playing Kansas) and Butler (playing Florida), I would say they have two chances of winning: slim and none. But if I had to pick which one has the better chance of pulling off the shocker of the tournament, I'd have to go with the Salukis! I'm just not sure Butler will be able to match-up against potent combination of Florida's speed and size.

The Ben Howland memory lane tour continues with UCLA facing his prior school Pittsburgh. It is probably going to be another grind it out defensive struggle like the game against Indiana. I'm hoping UCLA will be able to contain the Panther's big guy and find enough offense to survive and advance.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...