Devotional Thoughts: Art and Spirituality


A few months back, I posted this item.

I did get to see the exhibit and took my digital camera and snapped a few shots.

Here is one for contemplation ... What do you think of the art object to the right?

And how about these random questions about art and spirituality ...

How much of the spiritual message is dependent on the context of the art exhibit?

Would this item (or any other art work) invoke spiritual thoughts if it were NOT displayed at a church as part of an exhibit with the title, "Spirituality in Contemporary Art?"

In the post-Christian era, to what extent do traditional religious symbols (like the Cross or a Lamb) have meaning to a viewer?

If you are interested in my thoughts on this art work, go to the comments.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it!

1 comment:

Rene said...

I found the upside down crutches to be quite innovative and inspirational.

In the skeptical world these days, people think of God (generally) and Christianity (specifically) as a crutch.

So it appeared that the artist has embraced this derision and used them as a symbol for faith!

At least that is what I got out of it! 8-)

Lord, help me to live in a way that invokes others to consider the spiritual realities that we are often blind to. And when the time is right, help me to have boldness and discernment to use words to explain. And as I struggle in the day-to-day, help me to embrace my dependence on You. Lord, I believe, help Thou my unbelief! Amen.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...