Devotional Thoughts: Wonderful Maker Wonderful Savior

One of the knocks on contemporary Christian music is that the lyrics are too simplistic and repetitive.

My feeling is if the lyrics are theologically true and encourage trust and obedience to God then I'll take simplistic and repetitive.

However, having said that, there is definitely a place for song lyrics that contain more depth.

The Christian faith has a rich tradition of communicating its message beyond just the written word. Great hymns of the past would raise the hearts of Jesus followers who would know the story of faith by song because they memorized songs because they couldn't read.

And for those who have been on the journey of faith for many years, songs that moved the soul many years ago would be fresh on the mind and lips the minute the first few notes are heard.

This morning, the lyrics on my mind are from a contemporary song that I think goes beyond the simplistic though it is a little repetitive but I just love it!

Have you heard and sung Wonderful Maker?

Excerpt:
You spread out the skies over empty space
Said, let there be light
To a dark and formless world
Your light was born
You spread out your arms over empty hearts
Said, let there be light
To a dark and hopeless world
Your son was born
I just love the linkage of Genesis with the Gospel of John!

Just love it!!

And so using the chorus as a prayer ...

Thank you Lord, that I can stand with generations of followers saying:

What a wonderful maker
What a wonderful savior
How majestic your whispers
And how humble your love
With a strength like no other
And the heart of a father
How majestic your whispers
What a wonderful God

Help me to walk in this today exhibiting the joy that comes from this love. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...