Sports: UCLA football, stick a fork in 'em

The season started with high hopes. Some were saying 10-2! I thought realistic was 8-4 or maybe 9-3.

Well, the best the team can do is 7-5 and to do that they have to beat Oregon, the team looking to be the favorite for the BCS championship and USC. Chances: slim and none.

On KLAC 570, the host often announces one of the guests this way, with us is Matt Stevens, the last UCLA QB to win a Rose Bowl. I looked it up.... 1986!

Since then UCLA made it to the Rose Bowl game just twice and lost both times.

Kind of reminds me of the Dodgers ... the last MLB championship appearance and victory was 1988. Since then, the team has made the playoffs an odd number of times with just one victory.

As a lifelong Dodger fan and UCLA football and basketball fan most of my adult life, it has been a long time. Each year, I go into the season with a "springtime of hope" and wind up in the fall (for the Dodgers) and winter (for UCLA) of despair.

But a bright spot appears on the horizon: UCLA basketball!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...