@ the movies: The Kite Runner

Saw a pre-release screening of The Kite Runner courtesy of Grace Hill Media and the Brehm Center of Fuller Theological Seminary.

THUMBS UP!

A very moving film. There were audible gasps in the audience at some powerful moments. There were moments when people reached for the hankies or tried to hold it together without tissue (me). Also, be warned there are some shocking scenes of evil that rightly drew the PG-13 rating.

I can see post-film discussions going in lots of directions.

One can ask was there a Jesus figure in this film about Afghan life which is part of the Muslim world?

I think so!

What emotional and relational issues hit home with the viewer?

I could write/talk about a lot there.

Will readers of the book be happy with this adaptation?

I didn't read the book but I had some unanswered questions which I wonder if they were addressed in the book but were left out of the film because films have to simplify.

Though the film makes no statement about politics, because of its setting in Afghanistan, one can't help but ponder the film in light of current events.

3 out of 4 stars, go see and be moved by this emotional and beautiful story of the power of friendship and watch the post-movie conversation go to history, faith, politics and life choices.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...