Theology: PTI -- Evangelicalism's meaning; Worship thoughts

Since I don't have cable TV, I have only seen bits of ESPN's PTI (Pardon the Interruption) when I've been traveling or visiting people who have cable TV.

Anyway, in that show, two sports writers give a quick opinion on some top sports subject of the day.

Don't have a partner in crime to do a blog version of theological PTI but I figure I'll dive in anyway with some occasional quick hits on some theology subject I'm baking in my mind.

The constraint is that I give myself a mere 5 minutes to write on the subject.

What does being an "evangelical" mean as I understand it?

I think this flavor of Christianity places a high emphasis on the Bible. There is an intramural disagreement on whether the Bible is inerrant or is it infallible. I suspect those who are Christians who don't call themselves evangelicals don't have this discussion about the nature of the Bible.

I think another aspect of this stream of faith is the importance of a person making a decision to follow Jesus. Evangelicals may use the term "born again" but I don't know if all of us like that word because it has gained a certain image associated with it. But there seems to be a feeling that whether one grew up in the church or came to faith later in life, there is a point in time where a choice is made to be a Jesus follower such that one's life is altered in some fashion.

I think also another aspect of evangelical is the desire to share one's faith with others who are outside of the faith. It can take very direct appeals like the Billy Graham public call to faith to personal conversations with an interested individual.

Subtracting denominational and cultural overlays, what is a communal worship service?

I suspect the "form" of worship is heavily influenced by one's cultural setting. After all, language is an essential part of a worshipping community. And once one selects a language, there is a lot of cultural associations that is inevitable.

Also, I think denominational factors have inevitable impacts.

Can one look across all language groups and denominational groups to identify the "substance" of a worshiping community?

I would imagine some theological people have made that study.

The Bible passage (this is the evangelical in me!) that leaps to mind is Acts 2:42-47:
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.


There is a God-ward dimension there. There is a dimension of community.

Time's up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rene-
If you're going to make PTI a regular feature and you want a blog partner in crime, I'd be willing to play the other part. Drop me an email - sarcasmagorical@mac.com

(btw, this is Brant DeBow - we met at GodBlogCon II )

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...