Life: Small Bowel Obstruction - a third time

In 2004, I had surgery for a small bowel obstruction. I was informed that I would be at increased risk for a repeat of the condition. Indeed, in 2005, I went to the hospital for the same condition.

Alas, on Friday 8 May, shortly around 2AM, my parents drove me to the ER with similar symptoms to the previous occasions. An x-ray was quickly taken and it was confirmed that I had a obstruction of the small intestine. The NG-tube went in and a couple hours later I was sent off to a CT-scan with oral and IV contrast. After that, I awaited official admission to a hospital room. It was an extremely busy day at the ER as many patients were piled on gurneys in the hallway and an inpatient room wasn't available in the main hospital until about 5pm.

Saturday included an x-ray to monitor the situation along with various IV change outs and physical exams.

Sunday included an x-ray to monitor the situation along with various IV change outs and physical exams.

The NG tube came out Sunday afternoon.

I was released from the hospital Monday afternoon after I was able to take three light meals (Sunday dinner of soup, Monday breakfast of french toast and Monday lunch of pasta) without ill effects.

Intestines are sensitive organs. Having had surgery in 2004 means that there are adhesions which means the risk of obstructions is increased.

We assume our intestines will function properly. And even in my case, they have worked 99.9999% of the time. But because of adhesions, I have to be alert to this problem.

Lord, help me to live life to the full with gratitude!

Disclaimer: The material above is a description of my health experience. Though I have attempted to be accurate I am not a medical professional. If you are in need of actual medical advice, please contact your physician.


No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...