Devotional Thoughts: Story of the wheat and the weeds

Taking a look at Matthew 13:24-30 tonight.

Jesus illustrated the Kingdom by comparing it to a farmer sowing wheat seeds but then an enemy came and sowed weeds in with the wheat.

The farmer's servants want to pull the weeds out. But the farmer knows that too many of the wheat will get damaged. He says let's wait until harvest time and we will get the wheat and burn the weeds.

With all the horrible news about the hurricane, many will ask rhetorically (though some genuinely) where was God when the hurricane happened?

It was within the power of God to intervene.

Yet, God has chosen to wait. I don't know why (if I did, I'd be God!) but God has chosen to wait.

One might ask, why did God send Jesus at that time?

Don't know.

God intends to restore humanity to himself. In the wisdom of God, it was the right time to send Jesus.

Likewise, now, we await the Kingdom in full realization. The wheat seeds are growing up in a world amidst the weeds. And, at the right time, in the purposes of God, the harvest will occur and good will be separated from evil.

In the meantime, we are to labor in the fields doing good so that the Master is pleased and we grow in the goodness He desires to cultivate within us and bring as many along with us as possible. Let us not grow weary.

I heard that some theologians were interviewed by Hugh Hewitt the other day. I only caught a small part of it. The transcript is at Radioblogger. I'll have to check it out because I'm sure they touch on this question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, stumbled upon your blog by accident and I am heartened that amidst the self-centred blogging phenemonon, there is a blog like yours that is devoted to God and your perspective of some bible passages. I am a very new christian and am still trying to know more about God and his purpose. Keep it up. I'll be a regular reader:)

Rene said...

Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the encouragement. Look forward to hearing from you again. If you feel like writing directly, I can be reached at rrblog_at_yahoo_dot_com.

Take care and be well.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...