Bruce Almighty

Jim Carrey's latest movie beat out Matrix in the weekend box office numbers. I haven't seen it but reports have been favorable. Interestingly, the director of the film comes with Christian understanding. A friend sent this page where the director fielded questions from a religious audience.
Here are a few excepts from the Q&A:
===============
I think there are subtle messages all over this movie. And you can take them for what you will, where you are standing in your particular spiritual walk. I accidentally run into them, like with the Father, Son and Holly Ghost analogies. Morgan is three guys in the movie. Morgan is the electrician, the janitor, and the boss. Father, Son, Holy Ghost -- kind of. Many were intentional and many were just coincidental -- which is one of my favorite sayings, “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”
....................
Question: One of the things I heard, before seeing the film, was “What about this raging against God?” “Isn’t that blasphemous?”

Shadyac: Yes! I answer it with Elijah, Jonah and Job. And I answer it with my understanding of what God seeks in all of us, which is relationship. And relationship demands honesty. I don’t think we are to live in our anger and our rage. But, to express it. Again, (this is) to express a step along the journey. Bruce raged at God. A few weeks later he got to see how silly that was. How self-indulgent that was. How self-involved that was. How un-evolved that was. But, had he not raged, had he not been honest, who knows if that step would have been taken. … God loved him all along. The soil had to soften, become porous so the seed could take root.
============================
Found the dialog honest and thought provoking. I'll have to see the movie myself eventually and post a review!




No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...