Losing Bill Bennett's Money


I certainly was disappointed to hear of Bennett's gambling problem. He did nothing illegal but to lose such huge sums of money gambling is troubling.

I think most people don't take an absolute prohibition on gambling. Think about this: if you go to Las Vegas and lose $100 playing various games there and while there you also see a show for $100. Are the two uses of $100 morally equivalent? I think so... they are entertainment expenses. Now if you go there and lose large sums of money... I suppose we will all differ on what is "large sums" ... then that is a different story. Or you go and lose $100 day after day after day then I 'd have a problem there.

Within Christian circles and religious communities there will always be a debate on what is appropriate behavior. Some people might say, no R-rated movies, no dancing, no smoking, no drinking, no gambling, fill in the blank no this or that, etc. etc. etc. And don't get me wrong, there is a place for negatives or prohibitions but sometimes I wonder if in the effort to find "sanctification" or "holiness" or "righteous living" we are drawing the life out of life?

So in regards to Bennett, I don't think gambling per se is always wrong. Afterall, I think most people would consider it harmless to bet a bag of bagels on the outcome of a game or to say, you owe me dinner if my team beats your team. But sometimes quantities matter: if Bennett threw down a few Benjamins on the slots or black jack tables I wouldn't be shocked or offended but he was tossing down a few hundred Benjies and that bothers me.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...