Gagne saves another one

One Dodger gaining a cult following is Eric Gagne the marginal starter turned star closing relief pitcher. I've always wondered what qualifies for a save in baseball. So I asked my sports guru buddy by email and here is her reply...

Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions: (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions: (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

I imagine she got it from a web page devoted to baseball stats. I suppose I could have went to Google and found it myself. But it is easier to bug my friend. 8-)

Go Dodgers!!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...