This is a fight against evil

Margaret Hassan was probably killed on the latest videotape.

Can we call those who murdered her anything less than evil?

Hassan has devoted her life to helping Iraqis through CARE.

Will Al-Jazeera show the videotape of the Islamic fanatics killing her?

Meanwhile, you can be sure Al-Jazeera will be showing the videotape of a Marine shooting a wounded insurgent.

There will be an investigation and that marine may well receive some punishment.

However, having recently watched Saving Private Ryan, I am not sure what punishment would be appropriate. In the film, there was a scene where the US Army troops are storming the beaches and some of the German soldiers attempt to surrender and they get shot.

The fact of the matter is that terrible things happen in war.

In this blog post I put two deaths side-by-side but I want to make it absolutely clear that I make NO moral equivalence between the two cases. At the very minimum, you have to say that Hassan didn't deserve to die. At the very least, you have to ask why Al-Jazeera doesn't show that side of the conflict in Iraq.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...