Devotional Thoughts: My life is like bland oatmeal

Taking a look at Job 6:1-7 this morning.

Then Job answered and said:

Oh that my vexation were weighed,
and all my calamity laid in the balances!
For then it would be heavier than the sand of the sea;
therefore my words have been rash.
For the arrows of the Almighty are in me;
my spirit drinks their poison;
the terrors of God are arrayed against me.
Does the wild donkey bray when he has grass,
or the ox low over his fodder?
Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt,
or is there any taste in the juice of the mallow?
My appetite refuses to touch them;
they are as food that is loathsome to me.

Could you be this honest with God?

What is Job saying here?

It is poetic and draws much from the life and times of his world.

How would we say it today?

I'm totally freaking out as all my troubles have piled up so high.
My troubles would be heavier than all the sand on a southern California beach.
I feel as if God is trying to kill me!
A dog who spends a day at Chateau Marmutt will wage his tail.
A dog who gets her Eukanuba will thrive.
So don't mind me if I am too upset to eat. My life feels like bland oatmeal and tastes like flat soda.

A few weeks back, I had the chance to hear Prof. John Goldingay share his perspective on Proverbs, Job and Ecclesiastes. One interesting point that come up was the whole idea of what can we say to God?

We concluded with this idea: you know the marriage is over when the couple stops talking.

Indeed, a big part of the life of faith is about interacting with God however imperfectly. Whether is it Abraham "bargaining" with God, Jacob wrestling for the blessing, Peter's impulsive statements, Martha scrambling around or doubting Thomas.

Lord, I sometimes have my list of complaints. Thank you that I'm allowed to bring them to you. Lord, you help me to put my situation into perspective with your Scriptures and the peace you often grant to me as I pray. I have friends who have cancer and I pray for them right now. Give them grace to endure. If their life is nearing the end, then give them peace and hope in you. If they are to remain in this world then give them strength to endure for however long and if possible perhaps even remission. By life or by death may they know your love and the love of family and friends. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...