Music: Salonen hands baton to Dudamel

The big news in the LA culture scene is Esa-Pekka Salonen, LA Philharmonic's music director, announcing his plans to retire and devote his time to composing.

At the same press conference, Board of Directors President Deborah Borda and Salonen introduced the new music director, Gustavo Dudamel.

Dudamel, 26 years old, signed a 5-year deal that will start with the 2009-2010 season.

Here are a few excerpts from the press release:
Of the appointment Dudamel said, "Almost two years ago, I made my United States debut with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, and from the first moment I stepped onto the stage, I felt a special connection and deep feeling from the players. They are wonderful. I am very honored to be chosen to succeed the great conductor/composer Esa-Pekka Salonen, who has been so warm to me and has given me so much support. Family is very important to me. Now my musical family includes Los Angeles, along with Venezuela and Gothenburg, and these three will be my musical homes and the focus of my musical activity. Playing with the Los Angeles Philharmonic in the magnificent Walt Disney Concert Hall is a great privilege and I look forward to many happy years together."

Esa-Pekka Salonen stated, "Almost two decades ago, the Los Angeles Philharmonic took a chance on a young fellow from Finland who was at the beginning of his conducting career. Over the ensuing years we have all grown together. It is with love and pride that I regard all we have accomplished. As hard as this is, I know now that the right moment has come for me to step down as Music Director at the end of the 2008/09 season. It will come as no surprise to anyone that I wish to dedicate myself more fully to composing. I could not, indeed would not have made this decision unless I was confident that everything was in just the right place and balance. The LA PHIL is widely regarded as one of the leading symphony orchestras in the world. We have never been stronger. And now, the right successor has been found. Gustavo Dudamel's remarkable talent, intelligence and energy are the absolute right match for the orchestra and Los Angeles. While I intend to continue my relationship with the LA PHIL, I am peaceful and joyous about the artist to whom we will pass the baton. There could not be a more forward looking choice."
..........
Dudamel was born in 1981 in Barquisimeto, Venezuela. He studied violin at the Jacinto Lara Conservatory with José Luis Jiménez and later with José Francisco del Castillo at the Latin American Academy of Violin. In 1996, he began his conducting studies with Rodolfo Saglimbeni and during that same year was named Music Director of the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra. In 1999, along with assuming the Music Director position of the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra, he began conducting studies with José Antonio Abreu, the Orchestra's founder. Dudamel regularly collaborates with Sir Simon Rattle, Claudio Abbado and Daniel Barenboim.
Welcome to LA, Dudamel! A huge shout out to Salonen for so many years of great music!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...